Saturday, April 14, 2012

Menu Plan April 16-20

Did you know that April is grilled cheese month??!!! How exciting! I love a grilled cheese and I will take just about any variation you can throw at me! Cheese + Butter + Bread = YUMMY! So this week I made sure to seek out an extra special grilled cheese to make. I can't wait to sink my teeth into that gooey goodness on Friday.

This week I am also trying something totally new for me, indian food. I have eaten indian food plenty of times, but I have yet to try and make it. I am a bit nervous, but I am going to start with my favorite dish and see if I can get it even close to the real thing. Wish me luck.

I hope you enjoy the recipes and share them with your friends. 

Monday: Chicken Tikka Masala

I found this recipe for the classic indian dish and I am dying to give it a try. Cross your fingers!


Photo and recipe from Favorite Family Recipes


Tuesday: Chicken Flautas



Baked Chicken Flautas

1 rotisserie chicken shredded (or 2 cups cooked chicken)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 poblano, seeded and diced
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/3 cup prepared salsa
2 tablespoons sour cream (extra for dipping)
3 ounces Colby jack cheese shredded
salt and pepper to taste
6 8inch whole wheat tortillas

Preheat the oven to 375.

Pour oil into a saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add in the corn, poblano, and onion powder, saute for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook another 2 minutes.


Place the shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add in the corn mixture. Then add the remaining filling ingredients (salsa, sour cream and cheese).


Place a heaping 1/3 cup of the filling into one of the tortillas and spread into a line in the middle. Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam side down on a foil lined baking sheet. Repeat until all filling is used.

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until tortillas have crisped and turned golden brown.

Serve with sour cream for dipping.

Slightly adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon



Wednesday: White Pizza Pockets


White Pizza Pockets

1 can pizza crust (or your favorite pizza dough)
4 tablespoons classic white pizza sauce (see picture)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 freshly grated parmesan cheese
your favorite toppings (we did spinach and broccoli)


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly grease the bottom of a baking sheet.

Spread the pizza crust out on the baking sheet and cut it into four pieces.



Spread 1 tablespoon of the white pizza sauce on to each pizza pocket.

Pile 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of the parm cheese onto one half of each dough rectangle.


Add the toppings of your choice onto the cheese. Carefully fold over the pocket and use a fork to crimp the edges shut. Poke a few holes on the top to let the air escape.


Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until the dough is completely cooked and browned.



Thursday: Lasagna Soup

We have made this at least a dozen times and it is so easy and really tasty.


Recipe and photo from The Deen Brothers.

Friday: Parmesan Crusted Grilled Cheese

Oh the beauty of this one!!


Photo and recipe from Two Peas and their Pod.





3 comments: