Sunday, April 22, 2012

Menu Plan April 23-27

Be sure to LIKE my Facebook Page by clicking HERE!!! 

Snow??!! Really on April 23rd we are supposed to get snow. We didn't even get snow all winter...why now?? Ok, I am done ranting about snow.

I just am dying to have sunny warm weather. I want to grill and have BBQs and do all kinds of food related outdoor things!!

On another note, I am trying to incorporate more of my own original recipes into my menu plan. Eventually I would like to have all my own recipes or adaptations of recipes I have made! Until then I will rely on my favorite food sites to provide amazing recipes for everyone to try.

When I follow a recipe I don't ever exactly follow the recipe. For one thing my son is allergic to eggs and nuts, so I am always modifying for that. For another thing, there are some things I just don't like and won't include. If you see a recipe you want to try don't be afraid to adjust it and change a few things you might not like to make it a recipe of your own. I usually just write all over the recipe so I can remember what I did for next time. Have fun and try new things!!

Monday: Buffalo Chicken Alfredo

I have seen several recipes for this dish around the internet, but I decided to make an easier version on my own. This recipe is so delicious and fast...you have got to give it a try.


Buffalo Chicken Alfredo

8 ounces of whole wheat pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 container prepared light alfredo sauce ( I prefer Wegmans brand in the dairy section)
1/4 cup Frank's hot sauce
1/4 crumbly blue cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Drizzle the olive oil in a large frying pan. Heat the pan to medium-high heat.

Dredge each chicken strip into the bread crumbs to coat both sides. Carefully place the strip into the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. The chicken will NOT be cooked all the way through. 

Place the strips on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake the strips for 10 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.

While the chicken is cooking, put the alfredo sauce, hot sauce, blue cheese and butter into a small sauce pan. Heat the sauce until the cheese and butter is melted and the sauce is heated all the way through.

Assemble the dish with noodles, chicken fingers and sauce mixture on top. Top with parsley if you wish. Enjoy!


Tuesday: Shrimp Fried Rice


Photo and recipe from Cooking Light


Wednesday: Taco Soup

This recipe calls for a rice cooker, which I don't have, but I am going to try it in the crockpot and increase the cooking time. Looks yummy!! :)


Photo and recipe from Super Healthy Kids


Thursday: Spicy Tilapia and Mango Tacos

This is another awesome recipe from Cooking Light. It is the perfect example of how I will adapt a recipe though. I know I won't make this exactly as is, because them my children would not be able to eat it!! I will cut down on the heat a bit. I probably won't use the jalapeno and I won't make my fish as spicy. But I love the flavor ideas and the "salsa"! I will give you the original recipe in case you like all the HEAT!! :)


Picture from and recipe from Cooking Light, May 2012


Friday: Crock Pot Chicken Parm


Photo and Recipe from Chef in Training

Enjoy your week!!








16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try that Buffalo Chicken dish! Thanks for the great idea. Any ideas to help me get my daughter to eat more things? She's just like her Daddy...only eats the same 10 foods. I had her pick a new fruit from the market this week to try and I include her in the cooking all I can. I do NOT make her a different dinner either! :-) Any other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One way to get kids to eat more veggies is to hide them in things. I am sure you have heard of using purees in macaroni and cheese, banana bread and tons of other things to get your children to eat more vegetables without knowing it! Smoothies is another way of hiding spinach, kale and other dark greens and masking the flavor with sweet fruits. I like these ideas, but I really believe the best thing is to continually give them to your child over and over. Every single meal should include a fruit or vegetable. NO EXCEPTIONS! I even bring fruit and veggies with me to parties and birthdays if I think there will not be any. I think the more often you expose your children the more likely they will be willing to try new things. Of course you need to be a model as well (and your husband!). You need to eat all the veggies your expect your children to eat and keep describing them as YUMMY!! :) Lastly, as you said in your comment you should not make separate meals. My children know if they do not eat their food they do not get anything else that night. They must try all foods and eat a good chunk of their veggies to be allowed anything else. That is always the rule and they are used to it. Stick to your guns and they will come around.! GOOD LUCK, I hope this helped! :)

      Delete