Friday, April 13, 2012

Strawberry Ice Box Cake

I love to cook, but I am not a baker. I do bake from time to time, but it is not really my thing. I will leave the baking to my best friend Kate! So when I go searching for a dessert, I want it to be easy and delicious.
FOUND ONE!
I made this easy and delicious "Ice Box" cake for Easter and we LOVED it.

What is an "ice box cake"?
Well there are many different versions, but most ice box cakes I have seen just simply mean there is no baking at all it only "sets" in the fridge (aka the ice box). In most cases something takes the place of the "cake", like in this recipe. Instead of cake there are graham crackers. After the cake chills for a few hours the graham crackers turn soft and almost seem like cake. Not to mention homemade whipped cream makes anything oh so yummy, and this cake has a lot of it!! :)



Strawberry Ice Box Cake

2 pounds fresh strawberries, washed
3 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box graham crackers
2 ounces milk chocolate melting wafers
2 ounces dark chocolate melting wafers

Hull the strawberries and slice each berry into thin slices. I used my mandolin slicer and it made it much easier. BE CAREFUL using a slicer though with berries! You may accidentally slice your thumb. Not that I did that or anything! :)



With your mixer (hand or stand) whip 3 cups of cream until stiff peaks form.


Add the sugar and vanilla and mix to combine.

Spread a small spoonful of the whipped cream onto the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Lay down one sleeve of crackers, covering the whole area of the pan. Next spoon on about 1/3 of the whipped cream. Then a single layer of berries on top of that. Repeat with two more layers. Ending with the final whipped cream and strawberries on top.







To make the chocolate sauce: slowly warm the remaining 1/2 cup of cream on the stove. Once it begins to bubble, add in both kinds of chocolate wafers. Turn off the heat and whisk until chocolate is melted.

Once the chocolate has cooled, drizzle the chocolate sauce over the top using a spoon.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving to allow the crackers to soften.


Recipe slightly adapted from Kitchn.


No comments:

Post a Comment