Friday, March 9, 2012

Menu Plan March 12-16

Menu for March 12-16

It is so exciting to hear people tell me that they have tried a recipe from my blog or one I have found online. I love to cook and plan meals, but I know not everyone does. I hope this helps those of you who hate it and inspires those of you who love it.

I love trying a new recipe and then tasting it for the first time. But my absolute favorite part is when other people try it and really enjoy it. That is when I feel the most thrilled with a new recipe. Most of the time my husband is the only one I have telling me whether it is good or not, but now I have all of you. So if you try a recipe, let me know!!

Monday: Salad Bar with homemade croutons

I got the idea to have a salad bar for dinner from a website called Super Healthy Kids. I modified the toppings to fit our personal likes. We had so much fun making the homemade croutons and the kids loved choosing their own toppings! Daiya loved it so much she requested we have it again this week. She said, "Mom could we have salad for dinner, ya know JUST salad! I loved that mom!" Who doesn't want to hear their 4 year old say that?!


Here is what we had at our salad bar:
lettuce
garbanzo beans
cheese
chicken
cucumbers
carrots
tomatoes
avocado
peas (I know, I know, but I love them!)
homemade croutons

I put each item in a separate bowl and then let the family top their own lettuce with whatever they want. Since Cole doesn't like lettuce at all he just filled his plate with toppings! Of course you can come up with any toppings that you and your family like. It did dirty a lot of dishes, but the amount of vegetables consumed was amazing and well worth it!

Tuesday: Meatball Sliders with Basil Pesto


I am drooling just thinking about this recipe! I found this gem over at Annie's Eats! Annie makes her own sauce and her own pesto, but I would feel no shame in buying both of those. In fact if you were really busy just by some meatballs pre made and put these beauties together. Either way I am longing to have them RIGHT NOW! :)

Wednesday: Fettucini with peas, asparagus and pancetta


I love pasta and I could not get through a week without it. So this week I chose a true winner in again another recipe from Annie's Eats

Thursday: Ricotta, Spinach and Red Pepper Pizza

I cannot get enough of my latest pizza invention. It is the kind of pizza that is actually heavy in your hands, but it tastes so fresh and light.

Ricotta, Spinach and Red Pepper Pizza

1 whole wheat crust 
3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 clove of garlic minced
2 giant handfuls of fresh spinach, roughly chopped (I know this is more of a Rachel Ray measurement, but you can adjust based on how much you like spinach)
1/2 jar of roasted red peppers drained and chopped
1 1/2-2 cups shredded pizza mix cheese (mozzarella, provolone, parmesan)
3 tablespoons olive oil (divided 2 + 1)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large frying pan heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Add in spinach and red peppers and saute until the spinach is wilted.
In a small bowl, mix the ricotta and the spinach/pepper mixture together.
Spread the reserved tablespoon of olive oil onto the pizza crust.
Spread the ricotta mixture onto the crust. Try and make it as thin and even as possible.
Top with the shredded pizza cheese.
Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes or until the bottom of the curst is browned.


Friday: Coconut Shrimp with Jasmine Rice



I made these yummy shrimp a few weeks ago for the first time. They are delicious and much healthier than their fried counterparts! My one recommendation is that you line the pan with foil or parchment paper. These can get messy!



1 comment:

  1. I made the Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese that you found on Pinterest and it was a huge hit! It can use some calorie trimming from so much cheese but that's easy! Soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete